National Top Workplaces 2013
Working with our 30 publishing partners, we polled over one million employees from 872 large companies across the United States, in order to create the definitive list of 150 Top Workplaces with 1,000 employees or more.
This year Quicken Loans ranked number one on the list because of:
- A zest for unearthing and implementing ideas.
“Quicken Loans truly allows the team members to voice their opinions which is huge. If you have an idea you are allowed to speak up and have your idea voted upon by the team members.”
- The company’s commitment to working efficiently and serving clients well:
“It's day in and day out. We aren't just efficient here and there; we strive to do it every day in every aspect of the company.”
Too often, companies focus on perks such as free cappuccino, rock climbing walls, and nap rooms. While these employee benefits are nice-to-haves, they do not drive organizational health which really drives employee fulfillment. Our research shows that companies that set a clear direction for the future, execute well and bring real meaning to work are the healthiest. That makes them both Top Workplaces AND successful organizations.
CEO Bill Emerson is clear on what makes the difference:
"We know we have to take great care of our clients. In order to do that, we have to take great care of our team members."
"Anybody can e-mail me, I never refused a meeting with anybody, and I never will."
The Container Store – last year’s number one company – ranked #2 on the list this year. “As much as I love organizing closets, I really love this stuff,” says Kip Tindell, CEO. “It starts with having a workplace where employees can be as productive as possible.” Read more from our interview with Tindell on our blog.
Anadarko Petroleum was third – moving up from fourth last year.
This year’s list reflects the strength of America’s petroleum exploration and production industry which is going through a significant growth spurt. Oil and gas placed four companies in the 2013 top ten. Technology companies, which are often considered cutting-edge and sensitive to employee needs, were under-represented on the list, with only two technology companies appearing in the top 50.
The list also reflects the strength of the Texas economy – with 8 out of the Top 10 and 30 of the Top 150 headquartered in the state.
The following is a list of the top ten companies in the 2013 National Top Workplaces rankings:
- Quicken Loans, Detroit, MI: Quicken Loans Inc. is the nation’s largest online retail mortgage lender. Quicken moved up from #2 to #1 on this year’s list.
- The Container Store, Coppell, TX: A repeat winner that was #1 on last year’s list, The Container Store is a nationwide storage and organization retail store devoted to helping people simplify their lives.
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, The Woodlands, TX: Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is among the largest independent oil and natural gas exploration and production companies in the world. It moves up from #4 on last year’s list.
- Park Place Dealerships, Dallas, TX: Park Place Dealerships is a chain of 11 new and pre-owned luxury car dealerships in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
- EOG Resources, Inc., Houston, TX: EOG Resources is one of the largest independent (non-integrated) crude oil and natural gas companies in the United States.
- Pioneer Natural Resources, Irving, TX: Pioneer Natural Resources is a large independent exploration and production company focused on delivering competitive and sustainable results.
- Mattress Firm, Houston, TX: Mattress Firm is a specialty bedding retailer with the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress specialty retailers.
- Coyote Logistics, Chicago, IL: Coyote Logistics is a rapidly-growing North American shipping and logistics company.
- Keller Williams Realty, Austin, TX: Keller Williams Realty, Inc. moves up a spot, from #10 to #9. The Austin-based real estate franchise company has more than 80,000 real estate agents, operating in approximately 690 offices across the United States and Canada.
- NuStar Energy L.P., San Antonio, TX: Also returning to the list from last year is NuStar Energy, which has 90 terminal and storage facilities that store and distribute crude oil, refined products and specialty liquids; and two asphalt refineries and a fuels refinery.